It’s a new year! Trends are always changing, and while I’m a big fan of finding and dressing true to your personal style, incorporating trends is a great way to update your wardrobe.
Which trends are worth trying or keeping in 2022?
What are the 2022 style trends? Here are some of the trends that are projected to make a big splash in the new year. Remember, you don’t have to incorporate any of these. Dress true to what makes you confident. But, dressing in new trends can sometimes be fun and you can still incorporate them without straying from your true style.
2022 Style Trends
- Blazers became huge during 2021 and I’m here for this trend. I think the blazer trend is here to stay during 2022, so I think they’re worth a bit of an investment. The plaid and checked and other printed ones are my favorite.
- This one came in during fall 2021, and while I think it looks cute on some people, for the most part I hate it. Pretty sure you won’t see me trying this one this year. I predict this one will be short lived.
Lug sole boots:
- Lug sole boots refer to the chunkier style boots with deep indentations for maximum grip. Some of them are definitely too chunky and over the top, but my favorite Chelsea boots have a lug sole and I think it’s just the right amount of trendy and classic. I think these will stay around for another year, but I wouldn’t get anything super trendy.
- I think you all know my feelings about Crocs…Literally the ugliest shoe to ever be made. I know everyone loves them and they’re super comfy, and mostly it’s kids and teens who are wearing this style. But as a thirty-something year old woman, these are a big NO from me. I can find lots of other shoes that are just as comfy and much cuter. For example, these sneakers that feel like you’re walking on clouds, and these boots that are supportive and super comfortable. I foresee this trend hanging around for another year, but I won’t be stoked about it.
- These aren’t going anywhere in 2022, so if you’ve been thinking about trying a straight leg or mom jean or boyfriend jean, give them a try! Everyone says skinny jeans are going out, but trust me…skinny jeans are here to stay and these other, looser styles are just other fun options. Two of my favorites are THESE JEANS and THESE JEANS.
- This is a big NOPE from me. You can keep your grandpa hats and I’ll stick with beanies and felt fedoras. I don’t see this one sticking around for long.
- I’ve seen these coming into stores but have hardly seen any people wearing them, so I’m not sure how long these will stay around. My prediction is that they’ll be a flash in the pan. Personally I’m staying away from them for as long as I can. If you love them, go for it, but I’m sticking with straight leg and skinny for now.
- Basically everything from the 90’s is coming back, and I think we’ll be seeing lots of this one during 2022. I’m seeing short sleeve polos on teens and tweens, mostly, and I think they look pretty terrible. But if you throw a casual collar on a pullover like this, I can get behind it. I’d totally wear this one. So I guess it’s a reminder that all trends have cuter and uglier versions.
- I don’t see this trend going anywhere. I’m seeing more and more midriffs and bra tops worn as shirts. And while I don’t personally show my stomach with my outfits, I do like the shorter top trends more than the super long shirts trends, as long as they’re long enough for me to do a small half tuck into my high waisted jeans.
- This was definitely one of 2020 and 2021’s biggest trends, and I think it has at least one more year…maybe more. So don’t toss them out yet! They are coming out with more and more cute ones, and I love that you can wear them with sneakers and boots, layer over them with coats, add cute accessories like hats and jewelry, or just wear them at home with socks to feel cozy but cute.
- I think this will be a big accessories trend of 2022, and when they’re worn as crossbody bags, I think they’re really cute. This is one of my favorites. It’s the perfect size for theme parks to hold your phone, chapstick, and sunglasses.
- Long cardigans have been around for years, but shorter cardigans are coming back. Personally I love them buttoned up and worn as a stand alone sweater. I don’t love them worn open…it feels a bit matronly to me. I predict this one will stay around for a while, but I don’t love it.
- Neon is coming back again! I actually like it, in small doses. I predict it’ll be short lived like last time, but I think it’s fun to add a bright sweater or dress to your closet if you’re feeling bold.
- I’ve been wearing tall socks for the last year or so, and they’re the best under boots. But thin or sheer socks with heels, or taller socks with slip on sandals are creeping in right now and I’m not a fan. I predict this will be a very quick trend, so I wouldn’t stress too much about this one sticking around.
Are there any other trends I missed that you’re wondering about?
An important note to remember about trends
Remember…trends come and go! You’ll always be safe with the classics. If none of these trends are appealing to you, skip them! Wear what works for your style and your body. The classics are classic for a reason, because they won’t go out of style.