After a reader’s question about wardrobe staples, we’ve decided to do a special Sisters Share It All for the next three weeks. This week we’re talking about ten clothing staples that we think every woman should have in their wardrobe — or if you were to start your closet from scratch, these are ten things you should start with. Items that are essential, as well as remixable. Oh, and this list is clothing only; we’re not including accessories like jewelry, scarves, belts, etc. That’s a post for another day.
So below is the list of ten staples that we came up with, along with links to the pieces I would buy if I was going to go out and buy these staples for my wardrobe right now.
1. Nice fitting pair of jeans. these are my current favorite jeans; they’re called “jeggings,” but they’re real denim, just with a bit of stretch. Also, they go on sale all the time.
2. Second pair of pants. (trousers, khaki’s, or colored jeans) I like these olive green ones because they’re colored, but not too bright, and super versatile.
3. Solid or striped tee for layering. As far as layering goes, I’d go for stripes over solid every time. And there are a million striped tees out there, but this one is inexpensive and cute.
4. Blouse. I love this one from UO because it’s lightweight enough for layering, has a small pattern to add a little bit of interest, and neutral so it will go with everything.
5. Pencil Skirt. A nice black pencil skirt is a timeless staple every woman should own. Invest in a nice one [that fits you well] and it will last forever.
6. Dress. I like this one because you can easily dress it up or dress it down, add a wide or skinny belt, or pair it with scarves and jewelry [since it has no collar or embellishing at the neck]. Plus, it has pockets and a small sleeve so you can easily wear it with a cardigan or by itself.
7. Cardigan. I just recently bought this cardigan and love it. It’s lightweight, but warm enough, and the longer length makes it perfectly casual and cozy. Also, any color would be great and versatile.
8. Blazer or lightweight jacket. I know blazers are so popular, but I just have a hard time with them — I feel so stuffy when I wear them [although I think other people look great in them]. So I went with a fun faux leather jacket. A full black faux leather jacket seems a little biker chick to me, so I’d go with brown.
9. Flats. I got these flats as a gift last year for Christmas and have worn them to death this year. They are sparkly, but not so sparkly that you can’t wear them very casually. They’re neutral and go with everything, plus they have a nice shape that I think is hard to find in a lot of flats.
10. Heels or Wedges. Ok, I would never personally buy 5″ heels, but the point is that if you’re going to buy one pair of heels, go with something classic [aka. black], but something a little more fun that just your basic black pump. The metallic heels on these make them edgy and funky, but are still a good pair of black heels that will go with everything.
My sisters, Janssen and Landen, also have ten links on their blogs today, showing the pieces they would buy if they were rebuilding their wardrobes right now. Go check them out!
Oh, and we’re not doing a linkup this time, but we’d love to hear your thoughts on our ten staples, and any additions or changes you might make if you were making a top ten list!