I’m so excited to announce this new monthly series: Merrick Asks! I’ll be asking a question each month over on my Instagram channel, about gift ideas, beauty products, clothing recommendations, and much more, and then sharing all of your responses in a blog post!
It’s so fun to hear all your ideas, and get a chance to share them with all of you.
Today we’re talking about the best gift ideas for your significant other for Valentine’s Day, and trust me – there are some good ones that are creative, fun, and unique.
Let’s start with gifts for guys (since most of you reading this are girls and need ideas):
Valentine’s Day Gift Ideas For Guys:
- Tickets to a fun event (concert, sporting event, local comedian, the theater, cirque de soleil, etc) – experience gifts are the best!
- Give a five senses gift: Sound (a watch or an iTunes gift card), Smell (cologne), Sight (lingerie), Touch (new sweater, warm socks, or a blanket), Taste (his favorite treat) – several people submitted this idea. So clever!
- Buy a map and mark all the places you’ve been together! I did this for Philip a few years ago and I gave it to him in a frame.
- A pair of Nike’s or other new running shoes with a note that says, “because you’re always running through my mind!” — sometimes those cheesy ones are just the thing!
- Surprise him with a race car experience — check Groupon for a discount! Any dude would love this.
- Book a couples massage for the two of you. It’s a win-win!
- Make him a “bouquet” made with manly stuff that he loves — tools, gadgets, electronics, clothes, food…get creative!
- Steal his car from work and get it detailed and washed, fill the gas tank, add a new air freshener, and put in new gum/mints, and maybe a few treats left on the seat! This is THE BEST idea ever.
- Buy a blank journal and write your favorite things about him, and explain the book is meant to be passed back and forth between you over time to write messages about each other. Such a keepsake!
- A framed copy of the love letter from Johnny Cash to June (or you could use any famous love letter)
- If you love to watch shows together, make him a “Netflix Essentials Kit” and include your favorite treats, a blanket, popcorn machine, and slippers or cozy socks!
- Wrap up a loaded nerf gun and keep one for you hidden close by so you can have a spontaneous nerf gun battle on Valentine’s Day – this is such a cute idea!
- Framed lyrics to your favorite love song (or a song you wrote!) – put a photo strip of you together in the frame
- If you have little boys, get matching Jack and Winn hats for him and your boys. Dads love to match their dudes!
- Do a challenge for V-Day date night: each of you gets $20, go to the mall, and you have a limited amount of time to buy 2 gifts (or whatever number you’d like) for each other.
- A framed band poster from their favorite concert, or your favorite concert that you attended together
- Set up a date night scavenger hunt — first make him find treats for a movie night, next a basket with stuff for homemade pizza, and lastly something sexy for you to wear that night 🙂
- Get a babysitter for the day, surprise him with lift tickets, and go skiing for the day!
- Make a chatbook of the previous year – always a good idea!!
- Surprise him with this Game of Love! I’d never heard of this, but it’s so creative if you’re wanting to spice things up a bit 😉
- Make a video of little clips from the year and put it to music. So special and doesn’t cost a thing!
- Give him a coupon book for a message, something sexy, a night off, his favorite meal, etc. Those coupon books will forever be an amazing gift idea!
- Surprise him with a fun and inexpensive subscription – it’s like a gift every month!
- Give him an electronics gift and have it set up and ready to go so he doesn’t have to assemble or go through the setup process. The reader who submitted this idea said she did that for the Apple TV that she bought for him. He was so excited to be able to start using it right away!
- Plan a day date and do something different together – like golfing, or antiquing!
- If you’re looking for something unique and sexy, check out this Love is art kit! Not sure I’d be brave enough to do it, but you and your guy might love it!
- Get him a subscription to the Dollar Shave Club!
- Make a special little box with your memories and pictures in it. A perfect keepsake!
- Do a homemade gift challenge, were you both have to gift each other something that is completely homemade. Homemade gifts are always so thoughtful!
- Give him an aluminum card for his wallet. You can have it engrave with coordinates of significant places in your life engraved on it (where you met, got engaged, first kiss, first home, etc), lyrics to your favorite song, his mantra, a favorite quote, or really anything! This shop sells them right here.
ok! Now for the girls — time to start dropping some hints, ORRR just grab the URL and not so subtly text your guy this blog post so he nails it this year!
Valentine’s Day Gift Ideas for Girls:
- Fill a jar full of slips of paper with reasons that you love her, and things you’re looking forward to doing together
- Buy a nice leather bound journal that you can write love notes and journal entries to each other and hide for each other to find it
- Fill the whole room with helium balloons and tie notes to each one saying “I Love You” in a different language
- Concert Tickets – again, experience gifts are always the best.
- Set up a scavenger hunt to find their gift – it makes it more fun!
- Give her a pair of classic diamond earrings or in her birthstone
- Put sticky notes all over the house with cute love notes
- Surprise her with a weekend getaway, planned and paid for! (You guys know I love this one)
- Give her a gift of a class she’s been wanting to take — cooking class, sewing class, calligraphy, art…anything!
- Make Valentine’s Day a family holiday that includes the kids, and take everyone out to dinner and a movie, or some other fun family date!
- Make her homemade chocolate covered strawberries
- If you’re a singer/musician, set up a private concert for her!
- Hand make a cozy blanket with special fabric that represents her – an easy one to do is a tie blanket with fleece!
- If you’re deployed or away for Valentine’s Day, give a key to a friend and have them decorate the house while she’s not home. Leave chocolates, roses, and have your song playing on repeat in your bedroom when she walks in.
- Give her a giant teddy bear that she can keep and give to your daughters someday
- Start a book tradition and make it a family affair – every year on V-Day all the kids and both of you get to go to the bookstore and pick a new book
- Surprise her with a bunch of balloons all over the room when she wakes up, and then give her breakfast in bed
- Surprise her with a night away BY HERSELF. No kids, no friends, no husband – just her so she can have some ME time. Pro tip: DO NOT make her book this herself. Check her calendar and book something on a day you know she has nothing so that it’s sure to happen!
- Make a top 100 list of things you love about her. Make one each year and put them in a binder so you can look back each year. They can be funny, silly, romantic, sweet – anything!
- Instead of doing gifts, book an overnight staycation at a local place and JUST focus on the one on one time! This is so important for your relationship!
- Give her a pot of tulips so she can enjoy the blooms all month long.
- Give her a personalized necklace or bracelet with tags or charms for each of your kids or something meaningful. These ones are my favorite!
- Buy her a special soap or a bath bomb from LUSH
- Order a Custom Star Map from a specific date of your relationship – this company, called GreaterSkies does them, and they’re so unique and beautiful!
- Buy a Love/Relationship Journal Book (like a baby book, but for marriage, like this one) and fill out memories, stories, and other sweet things about your relationship.
- Come up with a date night idea for every week (or once or twice a month) for the next year, and give it to her in a folder. All planned and ready!
- Give her a plant. This is a great thing for the girl who has everything. Tie a pretty ribbon around the pot and write her a heartfelt card, and you’re done.
- Buy her a jewelry or trinket boxes from Sugar and Chic Shop – these are so gorgeous. I have one and store my sunglasses in it.
- Buy a big bag of skittles (or another favorite candy) and sort out all her favorites so she has a big bag of just the best ones!
- Pick out a nice dress for her and surprise her with a really nice date night
- Jewelry of any kind – Might I recommend something gold and delicate, like this stack of rings, or these earrings, or this necklace? Basically anything from Gorjana is a win.
- Ask her what her favorite brand of perfume is and then surprise her with YOUR favorite from their line.
- Hire a cleaning service for a one day deep clean – you’ll win all the husband points for this.
- Go get a pedicure together – pedicures for men is basically just a foot massage! You literally can’t say no to that.
I hope you found a few fun ideas from this list! I’d love if you’d take a second to share it so more people can benefit from your good ideas (at the bottom of the post there are social icons, just click to share!)
Next month’s Ask Merrick is going to be really fun – can’t wait to share soon!