December 1st boxes are one of my favorite holiday traditions. Find out what they are and what to put in them for your family this year!
A really fun and easy way to kick off the holiday season
A few years ago, I did a whole post about holiday traditions with over 50 fantastic ideas submitted by you guys! If you missed that post, you can read it RIGHT HERE. One of my favorite ideas from those that were submitted was December First Boxes.
What are December first boxes?
A December 1st Box is a special box that each family member receives (or you can do one box for the whole family) on December 1st that helps kick off the holiday season — holiday movies or books, a new ornament, Christmas pajamas, etc.
You can fill it with anything you’d like, and you could make the boxes big or small.
Once everyone opens their box, you can watch a Christmas movie together snuggled in your new pajamas and eat a Christmas treat from your box. Or you could do the first day of your advent calendars, make hot cocoa or sugar cookies together, or do a Christmas craft. The point is to spend time together and bring some Christmas spirit into your home.
Lots of ideas for what to put in your December 1st Boxes
We’ve done December first boxes now for three years – this will be our fourth year – and the tradition is so much fun. So many of you started this tradition as well, so with your help I compiled a big list of items you could put in your December 1st boxes this year.
- Christmas pajamas — all of our favorite ones are linked RIGHT HERE!
- Christmas socks – here are some fun ones!
- Christmas masks – these ones are really festive
- Slippers – I’ve linked a few cute ones below
- Christmas books – my sister has a fantastic list HERE if you need some ideas!
- Christmas coloring books (or a subscription to Rad and Happy’s ColorHappy – you get like 5 new seasonally appropriate coloring pages per month for only $5!)
- Christmas movie
- Gingerbread house kit – you can order these ones online or pick them up in store.
- Christmas Puzzles (like this one or this one — I bought THIS ONE for the boys in 2018, and THIS ONE last year and we loved them!)
- Christmas charade cards
- Ornament kits – love THIS ONE
- Snowflake cutout sheets
- Christmas craft (garland making kit, like this one or this one)
- Christmas stickers
- Christmas pillowcase – you could make your own, or here are some cute ones on Etsy!
- Christmas sheets – this is such a fun way to make your kids bedrooms feel special for the holidays
- Cozy blanket – we got THESE ONES two years ago for my boys and they still sleep with them
- Movie candy – this is a perfect thing to add if you put a Christmas movie in your kid’s boxes
- Popcorn – same as above, definitely include popcorn if you include a Christmas movie!
- Hot cocoa mix with tiny candy canes and marshmallows — or get really fun and try this 12 DAYS OF HOT COCOA!
- Christmas mugs – THESE ONES are so cute
- Christmas cups and plates – I love the idea of having special dishware for the holidays
- Holiday cookie cutters for sugar cookies – love these ones RIGHT HERE.
Holiday Related Gifts
- 25 Days of Christ. This is a really fantastic scripture advent calendar that we bought a few years ago and have loved. It has assigned passages of scripture for each night, and then a small ornament that represents the verses. You get to hang one ornament up on the tree every night. You can find the box HERE.
- Advent calendars (Lego has some super fun ones, and Trader Joes has chocolate ones for only $0.99 — but they sell out so fast!
- For those of you who were going crazy over the sex advent calendar I listed on my Men’s Gift Guide, you can pick one up right here!
- Ornament for each kid representing something they did or were interested in during the year, like a soccer ball, a ballet shoe, something that represented a trip you went on, etc.
- Mistletoe for the house
- Mini Christmas tree for their room so they can hang their ornaments they have received throughout the years