HOME TOUR: KITCHEN, DINING, AND LIVING ROOM EDITION

It’s hard for me to believe, but we’ve now been in California for almost nine months. When we first moved into our house, we tried to get everything done (new furniture purchased, photos on the wall, etc) within the first month or two, and although we did get most of that done very quickly, there were still a few finishing touches that didn’t happen until just recently. So here we are, nine months in, and I’m finally able to give the tour.
Enjoy!
Candace, from Dandyroo Designs just sent us this DARLING portrait of our family, and I’m itching to frame it and put it on the wall! For now it’s just hanging out on the bookshelf. Check out her etsy shop here!
couch and chairs: macy’s home store
pillows: west elm + ikea
coffee table: overstock.com
kitchen table + chairs: a store in utah that’s since gone out of business
abstract painting: made by me
mirror in entryway: gift from my mom
If you’d like to know where a specific item is from, leave a comment and I’ll let you know!

1. Lisa says:

Beautiful!!! You have the living room I wanted, but told myself I couldn't have because I have a toddler. Obviously that's not true–it's so perfect! Thanks for posting! πŸ™‚

• Thank you! We have a family room off of the kitchen (I'll show that soon!) and it has a playroom, so we spend most of our time there. The kids know that they can't play in the living room, and if they go in there they have to be careful!

2. Nina Piccini says:

Beautiful home! Love all the natural tones πŸ™‚

xo, Nina
    afterthe40barfinish

3. Sam V. says:

Love how you decorated your home! Thanks for sharing πŸ™‚

4. I love it! Can't wait to do this same thing with my nursery reveal!

5. Morgan says:

love it! Where's the kitchen chandelier from?

6. Janssen says:

This is so pretty! Fun to see it not on the blurry webcam.

7. Pretty home, Merrick! I love the abstract painting with the sparkly chandelier–a cool juxtaposition.

8. Beautiful! I love how simple and clean everything is. Also wondering where you acquired your living room and kitchen rugs and toaster?

9. love it! great pillows!

10. Madeline says:

I love it ! It is so beautifully crisp ! And that cartoon of you guys is precious

Madeline | Its a Mads Mads World

11. Kristina says:

Looks so pretty< I can't believe little kids live there!

Kristina does the Internets

12. Marianne T says:

Gorgeous home. Thanks for sharing!!

13. Betsy Whitis says:

I love the chandelier in the dining room, where did you get it?

14. Elise says:

This is beautiful! Your living room is so open and bright. I love that πŸ™‚

Elise @ Everyday Elise

15. Mary says:

You have inspired me to maybe lift a finger or two in order to make our home a little more homey after living here for 4 months. Do you guys rent or own? We rent and I am reluctant to put a lot of time/energy/money into decorating a temporary place. I've done it before and was SO sad when it inevitably came time to move out.

16. Colby says:

I love your decor and style! That painting is amazing! You should sell them!

17. kimmie says:

Nine months already? I can't believe how fast time flies.

Your place is gorgeous! Ours is just full of toys EVERYWHERE. Even our living room which used to be semi-nice has turned into a play area with the coffee table pushed to the side and nicer items placed in high areas above the reach of little hands.

Are those gold animal figurines from Target? P picked the rhino one to give to my dad for father's day. i wanted to get him a pair but P insisted we only buy one.

18. Erica Lea says:

What a lovely house – it looks so bright and open! I was wondering where you got your tea kettle and if you like it — I'm looking to upgrade and I'm confused by all the choices out there!

19. Beautiful decorating! I love that frame wall with the clock.

-AJ
    FitTravelerAJ.com

20. Merrick, you have done up your house beautifully! It looks picture-perfect!
    One question, how do you manage to keep the house so tidy with small kids around?

Cheers!

Anya

Clothes and Creativity

• Thank you! And as far as keeping the house clean, we are pretty strict about making them clean up one thing before they move to another activity. So we never let it get too cluttery or unkempt before it is straightened up. Also, my husband vacuums the downstairs every night after dinner, and before we go to bed the house is completely straightened up. Just constantly working on it makes it easy!

21. Katie says:

I love that your dining room table is set. I find that my dining room table just becomes a catch all for papers, receipts, mail, and everything that doesn't have a home. I'm thinking I need to try setting the table to see if it keeps the clutter at bay. Where did you get your white plates and bowls? I like the simplicity of it.

22. Angie says:

This is absolutely beautiful! How do you like the Macy's couch? I was looking at the same one online for my living room, and a couple of the reviews mention that there was a lot of pilling after only a few months. Did you experience any problems?

• We haven't had any problems with it, but my friend got this couch at the same time and has had some pilling. Ours is in our nice living room, rather than the family room, so it doesn't get as much traffic as our other couches.

23. Nastassja says:

You have a beautiful home. We've sold our tiny two bedroom apartment and have just bought a house. I cannot wait to decorate! You've reinstated the itch!