I’m excited to share a really simple and fun DIY project today! This little fold over clutch makes such a great gift, and it’s really versatile — you can use it as a clutch, a diaper and wipes pouch, or a wallet, and you could make it any size!
If you make it as a diaper pouch gift, stock it up with diapers and wipes before you bring it to the baby shower. If you make it as a clutch gift, throw in a pretty lipgloss and some cute sunglasses!
Click through below to find the really easy instructions.
What you’ll need:
– 1/4 yd. vinyl (I bought mine at Jo-Ann’s. It comes in a giant roll about 5 feet tall)
1. Cut out your three pieces. FRONT, BACK, and FLAP. You can make the flap whatever shape you’d like — rectangular, triangular, circular, or even do something funky like a zigzag or scalloped edge!
2. With your FRONT and BACK pieces right side together, pin them on three sides, leaving one long side open. Sew around the three sides, as shown.
3. Cut the vinyl diagonally at the corners, then close to the seam on each side.
4. Turn the pouch right side out and use the eraser side of a pencil (or something similar) to push the corners out as much as possible.
5. Take your FLAP piece and pin to the BACK piece, right sides together, along the top edge, as shown. Sew with a straight stitch across. You’ll want a shorter seam allowance (like 3/8″) than you did before so you don’t have to trim it.
6. Fold over the FLAP and make a mark where you want your bead. Use a needle and thread and sew your bead to the center of the FRONT piece.
7. Now measure where you’ll need the button hole, and then use a seam ripper (you can also use scissors — they use don’t cut quite as straight and smooth) to carefully cut a small slice, big enough for your bead to get through. Make sure your slice isn’t too close to the edge of the FLAP so it doesn’t rip through!
And you’re done! It’s a quick and easy project that will take you fifteen to twenty minutes. Now make a bunch and give them to all your friends as gifts for their birthday or baby showers!