MERRICK’S TOP 5 TIPS TO SURVIVING BLACK FRIDAY SALES
1. SHOP ONLINE. A few times in the last few years I’ve braved the stores, and it’s always a complete madhouse. Pretty much every store has the same discounts online as they do in store, so save yourself a headache and a lot of standing in line, and just do it online.
2. DON’T PROCRASTINATE. This weekend is a great time to get some holiday shopping done! But remember, everyone else is shopping these sales too, so if you wait until Monday, lots of things will be sold out by then.
3. LOOK AT RETURN POLICIES. Free shipping and free returns are always a huge benefit for me, and help me make quick online shopping decisions because I know I can exchange or return for free if necessary. Many stores have free shipping discounts this weekend, but Zappos, Nordstrom, Old Navy, J.Crew Factory, ASOS, and Amazon are a few of my go-to’s for those good return policies.
4. MAKE A LIST. Sales get so overwhelming when you don’t have a game plan. Make a list of items you’re looking for, and let that guide your shopping rather than meandering aimlessly through websites. If you’re looking for holiday ideas, check out my two gift guides I’ve shared so far: gifts for the home, and gifts for friends under $50, and both of them have idea for everyone on your list. Make sure you check them out as you make your list!
5. USE STORE GIFT GUIDES. Pretty much every store now has a gift guide on their site. In addition to the ones I made, they’re a great resource. Check them out right here: