Last spring, I bought myself this blazer at H&M. I really liked it at the store, but when I got it home, I realized the sleeves were just a little looser than I liked. Since I didn't wear it all summer because of the heat, I'm finally getting around to fixing it now.
This is what it looked like -- you can kind of tell that the sleeves are loose:
Here's a better picture to show you how roomy they are:
With two easy steps, the sleeves are now fitted and exactly what I wanted.
Step 1. Turn your blazer inside out, and making sure your lining and the blazer material are lined up and not bunched up, pin the sleeve.
I pinned mine from the armpit down to about 6 inches from the end of the sleeve. I didn't want the wrist area any tighter because then I couldn't roll up the sleeves (which I will probably always do when I wear it). Also, stopping at this point allows the sleeve to be rolled without any (or very little) visible alteration.
Sew along the sleeve with a straight stitch, as seen below with the dotted line. Slowly angle away from the sleeve and eventually sew off the fabric where the dotted line ends.
Step 2. Once your seam is done, try on the blazer and make sure it's altered to your desired fit. Trim the excess fabric and zigzag or serge the raw edge, as seen below.
Repeat steps 1 and 2 on the other sleeve.
And here's the final result -- a super fitted and slim sleeve. Exactly what I wanted!
And here's a little before and after to show you the difference. So easy and makes a huge difference.
As always, comment or email me with any questions. Happy sewing!