Over the last few months, many of you have asked about my hair and makeup products. And since I am nothing but obliging, here they are in all their drugstore quality glory:
1. Suave Extra Hold Mousse. I haven’t ever tried expensive mousse because this stuff works great and does what I need it to do — which is make my hair not look like a drowned rat on my head.
2. Hana Titanium Flat Iron (c/o Misikko — review coming soon!). I trade off days between straightening and curling my hair. This straightener gets super hot and makes the straightening job quick and easy.
3. Conair 1″ curling iron. I love this curling iron because it heats up in 60 seconds, and gets as hot as I need it to.
4. Johnson’s Baby Powder. I learned the baby powder trick from Leanne. When your hair is greasy and you don’t have time to wash it, put a tablespoon of baby powder in your palm, rub your hands together, and then scrub through your hair, starting at the roots. Works WAY better than dry shampoo, in my opinion.
5. Hana Shine Shield Thermal Protectant (c/o Misikko). I just got this, so I’ve started using it and I like the idea of protecting my hair against the heat. Plus, it does get rid of some of the post blow-drying frizzies.
6. Revlon 1875 Blow Dryer. I’ve used many a hair dryer in my day, and don’t really notice a difference in any of them. This cheap-o one works great and gets my crazy mane of hair dry in under 10 minutes.
7. Herbal Essences Body Envy Volumizing Hair Spray. I’ve tried many cheap hair sprays too, and this is the best one of all the cheap-o ones, in my opinion. Plus, it smells so good.
In the order that I use them:
1. Prime Time Foundation Primer. You guys, I have BAD skin. I’ve had bad skin since I was 14, and I’ve tried everything in the book, from medication, to skin care routines, to makeup. Finally I splurged on some good quality makeup, and after only a month of use, I’ve already seen an improvement in my skin. This primer makes your skin velvety smooth, and your makeup stays on all day. Love it.
2. Bare Minerals Original Foundation and brush in “fairly light.” Same as above. The expensive makeup is worth it. I was a little surprised that their foundation was powder, but it blends into your natural skin so well, and doesn’t clog your pores, or irritate your skin. Never using another foundation (especially liquid), ever again.
3. Bare Minerals All-Over Face Color in “Warmth”. This came with the starter package I got from Bare Minerals, and it’s a nice bronzer that keeps me from looking SO pasty in the winter.
4. Sephora Makeup Palette. I don’t know if they sell this anymore, but Landen got this for me for my birthday last year and I love it. It has 32 different eye shadows, 2 colors of blush, 2 bronzers, and 16 lipgloss colors. I use it right now for the eye shadow (I use a light pink and a combo of brown and dark purple) and blush, and both are fantastic. The two makeup brushes (powder & eyeshadow) are from Target.
5. Cover Girl Professional Loose Translucent Powder. After I’ve done my other makeup, I do a quick brush of this powder to set everything. It’s not one bit heavy, and it keeps my makeup on all day.
6. Maybelline Eye Studio Eye Gel in “Blackest Black.” I just started using this to replace my Ulta eye liner that I’ve been using for the last year, and I love it. It’s super black, and the little brush helps make the perfect line across my lash line. Also it’s not waterproof, so it comes of really easily at night.
7. e.l.f. Liquid Eyeliner in “black” (c/o Misikko). I’ve only used this once, for a special occasion, but that little pointy tip is perfect for applying a perfectly straight line. I even did a little cat eye with it, and it wasn’t smeary, and didn’t budge all night.
8. Maybelline Eye Studio Define-A-Brow Pencil in “Dark Brown.” I was not blessed with good eyebrows. They are thin and sparce, and have several sections that don’t grow at all. This fills them in perfectly with the tiny tip, and doesn’t smear at all.
9. Cover Girl Lash Blast Fushion Mascara in “Very Black.” I love this mascara — it makes my eyelashes super dark, and look even longer and fuller than they already are. The only downside is that it dries out within a month or two.
10. Vaseline. I’m not a big lipgloss wearer, and my lips are naturally a perfect pink (in my opinion). So I throw on some vaseline every day for a little shine, and to make them nice and soft.
11. Victoria’s Secret Dream Angels Heavenly Perfume. Philip bought me this perfume when we first got married, and I’ve worn it ever since. It smells fantastic, but it’s not too strong. One little spritz every day is perfect.
(I was not paid for this post, and all of the products (except the ones I specifically mentioned) were purchased by me).